The first church building was completed and dedicated to St. James the Less on June 22, 1854 by Bishop Guigues. The land was donated by John Egan and James Bonfield. From here, Father Michael Byrne served the community in Douglas (which was a mission of Eganville), as well as travelling by white saddle horse to the settlers in Brudenell, Osceola, and Maynooth.
Construction of the large stone church began in 1895 and was completed on July 27, 1897, and dedicated by Bishop Lorraine and Archbishop Duhamel. This building served the people of the parish well, till its destruction by fire in 1995. Construction of the new St. James the Less Parish was completed and the dedication took place on December 22, 1996.